Tuesday, April 24, 2012

A first rate homemade overhead projector?


220 volts / 110 volts

Like the projector, it’s a bit large, but well arranged.

I tried out the Epson 8350 based on reviews.

220 volts / 110 volts

I purchased the Epson 8350 as a replacement for my Infocus X1A and hands down it blows it away! Easy Setup, Rich Deep Colors & Blacks. In Dynamic mode it rivals the brightness of my 42 LCD with the lights on! The only negative is the size of the projector, but I realized prior to purchase that it was larger.

We Love this soo much. Both my wife and I got hooked on to this from the day I had it installed. Did not mess around with the settings and I strongly recommend “Vantage Point CGUPM12-S Universal Front Projector Mount – Silver” mount. I have only 4 speakers connected right but WOW, this blows away my 50inch plasm TV away. Can’t wait to watch Football..

I have had movie nights at my home since getting the unit, inviting my friends and neighbours and even enjoy watching previuosly seen DVDs through this media.

Though this projector may not compete with the picture quality produced by the HD LED TV 1080P, the excellent picture quality at enlarged size will provide you the fullest satisfaction – never think of investing huge amount in LED 1080P TV!!!

I cannot find a way to completely turn it off unless I flip the switch in the back. It’s always in “standby” mode.

We Love this soo much. Both my wife and I got hooked on to this from the day I had it installed. Did not mess around with the settings and I strongly recommend “Vantage Point CGUPM12-S Universal Front Projector Mount – Silver” mount. I have only 4 speakers connected right but WOW, this blows away my 50inch plasm TV away. Can’t wait to watch Football..

[select:How much for a total Home Theater Package:|I’ve had people ask me how you can use a projector to play Wii games. Remember, with a home theater projector, the projector is (usually) behind you, not in front of you like a television, so you can’t put the sensor bar on the projector. The answer is quite simple, and that is to use an audio-video receiver or a dedicated HTIB receiver. You plug the console into the receiver just like you would plug it into your television. The receiver will either be in front of you or close enough to the front that you can run the game’s sensor cable to game console without any improvised wiring. Wii games are quite fun blown up to wall size, even though the Wii is not a high definition device. PS3 games and BluRay movies on the Playstation 3 look fantastic. I don’t have an XBOX 360, but if you want to give me one, I’ll be happy to write about it.|I’ve had this projector for several months now and it has performed flawlessly.|I’ve only had it for a month, so if something doesn’t last like I would expect, I will update this.|I’ve only had the Epson 8350 for a few weeks, but it is a great product. The picture is perfect, especially with little ambient light. The adjustments for picture size and up & down-side to side, make it easy to set up anywhere. Now priced in $ 1000 range or less, it is a must buy.|I’ve seen some complaints, but it didn’t seem hard to navigate, although it doesn’t let you keep tweaking options one after another as to accept a choice you have to hit the ‘menu’ button which jumps you back to the beginning.|I’ve tried every setting I can find with the receiver (and with my Sony BDP-CX7000ES Blu Ray player) to send the image to the projector in a 4:3 ratio, but haven’t been able to do so.|I’ve watched movies that I know challenged my Pany with great variations of lighting and had a lot of dark scenes in them for the ultimate test. Simply said, these DVDs played like a newly remastered disk! The black levels and dynamic range of extreme light to dark rival -film- (and a lot of theaters now are going digital projection over film, so that analogy is now getting outdated). The projector produces a very crisp image in SD (upscaled by the player) and for Blu-Ray and other high def sources (1080X1920), the images are extremely detailed. Details such as skin and hair, fabric/texture, grass, etc on our 110 inch screen are very defined and crisp. Animated films such as “Megamind”, “Up”, “Wall-E” and others are simply mind-blowing regarding the superb detail generated by computer animation. Color saturation and tint seem dead on with little to no tweaking required for any source connected. We’ve been to our local theater which is a high-tech, digital 3D facility and have to say, I see nothing I can’t reproduce for qualify of image or visual impact here at home.|Like the projector, it’s a bit large, but well arranged.|Mustang SC-E106D169 106-Inch Electric Screen|My daughters find that they cannot play some video games on it as standing blocks the projector. Not sure if a bigger room and a higher mount would take care of that or not. There is no remedy for it in our house.|My first impression when I got the 8350 is that it was huge. It is probably double the size and weight of the Z1. None of the pictures on here had prepared me for how big this was going to be. Luckily my mount was just barely big enough pick up the mounting holes. Which brings me to my next high point. Epson includes a card with the projector that has a private support line number and access code. A quick flip glance through the manual failed to turn up the mounting bolt size, so I gave the support line a try and was able to get through immediately and get the answer (M4 x 9mm). I felt stupid later on when a closer examination of the manual turned up the answer. At least I got a chance to try out the support!|My interest was peaked when Costco sent me an offer for the Optoma HD180, which, for $ 899, offered 1080p resolution at an affordable price. But as I researched and read comments/reviews from other customers, I noticed several complaints regarding black levels and the longevity/reliability of the bulbs. I was hesitant to pull the trigger without seeing the Optoma in action in a real world setting. Determined to see if it would satisfy me, and armed with the knowledge that the Epson 8350 was the slightly pricier competition to the Optoma HD20 (the more readily available sister to the HD180), I visited my local Best Buy store.|my issues with this product.|My last projector (Seleco) cost me seven grand. It had a very nice picture, but it was becoming dated and I felt it was time for an upgrade. I couldn’t help noticing all the rave revues for this Epson projector, and, quite frankly, I was quite doubtful; I mean, how good can a projector for slightly over a grand be? But I was seeing positve reviews about the Epson everywhere I turned, so I’d decided to give the unit a try.|My last projector was an Optoma 625dx. DLP, Resolution of 1024 X 768, 2500:1 contrast ratio. At the time, I thought it was great, so keep that in mind as I review. (I’m not one to replace every year, just when my last one breaks) 105 inch screen.|My old sharp xr-10x finally gave way after 6 years of good service. I started researching different 1080p projectors through numerous websites and had my choice narrowed down to 3 (epson 8350, optoma hd20, and viewsonic pro8200). Based on my budget I went with the viewsonic pro. I’m projecting onto a 130″ screen from a distance roughly of 14 feet 10 inches.|My Playstation 3 works great with this, and I am now spoiled for life with video games in 106 inches. I think this is an excellent projector for the money and it definitely gives you the home theater experience.|My previous projector was a Panasonic AX100 with only a 6000:1 contrast ration but was very happy with its performance. This PJ was bought because of the full HD upgrade itch. Being an avid Panasonic fan, I was eyeing a Panasonic AE4000 but because of budget constraints settled for this. With the price and features and of course the rave reviews made me decide this purchase. Have seen it perform in a friend’s house and was amazed with the Image Quality. Ordered from Visual Apex and had it shipped here in the Philippines. As far as I know, this model is only available in the US so I was keeping my fingers crossed that the item would be in pristine working condition on arrival.|My receiver is this Samsung system: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HTD6500W-Blu-Ray-Theater-System/dp/B004PAA876/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1330631704&sr=8-2. Very happy with that as well, and it seems to function really well with the projector.|My son has experience with projection was very impressed with it. We watch three movies and were very happy with it.|My wife calls it over-the-top, but the buddies call it “sick.” (An apparent reference or slang for amazing.)|Next up, the ultimate test, real people’s faces in 1080p. For this test I used the Diana Krall in Rio disc. I knew this would be very tough, as there would be lots of close ups of the gorgeous Diana Krall up close, and her skin tone would show any trace of color distortion. Again, this unit did not disappoint. Her skin tone was flawlessly reproduced. No need whatsoever to tweak color level or tint at all. The piano keys were pearly white, and the deep, dark wood tones of her grand piano were likewise accurately reproduced.|NiCo – See all my reviews|Noise : That was my biggest concern before I bought it. I don’t realize this under 26decibel noise maker even exists! very good!|NoMore Epsons – See all my reviews|norsebavarian – See all my reviews|Not an expert on projectors but I’m delighted with this purchase. Fantastic picture (10 feet wide) onto painted wall.|Not worth the savings. I may upgrade|Now I see this as a blessing in disguise. Epson will replace you bulb for free, but you’ll be without a projector for a few days while you wait to receive it. If the bulbs keep burning out around 400 hours (when they are rated for 2000-3000) then you should never have to buy a new bulb. We’ll see what happens though – I’ve only owned this for a few weeks.|now that’s great customer service.|Of course, another important point is the picture quality. I am no expert, but blacks are really black, the image is very clear, even on a 10ft wide screen, and the colors are very real. Another plus is being able to adjust size and inclination of the projected image with ease and with many options. 1080p is important not only for programs, but for the computer. I have the computer connected to it with wireless mouse and keyboard and it shines.|Of the box. And I’m still tweaking the picture|On the negative side, this thing is so big it didn’t work with my current mount so I had to temporarily set it on a table for testing. Fortunately, there is an OmniView glass projector shelf that is also touted to be quite big — it’s a perfect fit for this projector. Some of the thickness is required due to the lens shift capability. If the size is due to trying to cut down the sound, it was well worth the sacrifice.|On the second day out of the box, my *first* unit displayed “Auto-Iris error, contact Epson support” and would not otherwise operate.|on, it covered my whole wall (not even a screen) with stunning imagery, in amazing detailed resolution with brilliant colors. Looking forward to get a screen for the future, but it’s not really needed with the bright projection|Once I setup the viewsonic I liked the picture but wasn’t wowed by it. My old one seemed to have better color and when my wife saw the viewsonic she was very disappointed. The colors weren’t very bright and it almost seemed like it was projecting through a grey haze (i triple checked to make sure nothing was on lens) I spent hours on it trying to calibrate it and although the picture got better it still didn’t sit well with me. Not to mention the fact that I had it mounted on a back shelf approx 3 feet from floor and had to set the keystone correction so high to get it to project slightly down that I lost a good 6 inches from horizontal and 2 inches from vertical just to get picture nice and square. I played a few hours of xbox on it along with some regular 1080i hi def movies coming from my uverse and again it looked just o.k. and not great. I do not have a blu ray player so I was unable to test its capabilities. Exit viewsonic enter epson.|Once last thing, the projector is really quiet however, on the brighter settings or after 4-5 hours of continuous use on darker settings you can still hear the fan from a few feet away when there are quiet scenes. Most of time it isn’t noticeable for front mount installations.|One of the best 1080p projectors in this price range!|One other thing. I tried hooking my laptop to the projector. I had a few issues with the text not razor sharp at 1920×1080 as well as the focus not completely uniform across the screen. So I probably won’t be using that much. Could be my video card but I doubt it. A HTPC projector this won’t be for me.|Only slight criticisms: the fan noise is a bit louder than I’d hoped (I have to have the high altitude setting on). The placement flexibility is ok but not quite as much as I’d hoped. It wasn’t possible to just put the thing on a shelf at the side of the room as I’d hoped. (Largely because it is necessary to use a fairly significant level of vertical shift unless the projector starts in a relatively high position). But easy enough to work around. The quality of the picture more than compensates.|The *second* unit displayed the SAME “Auto Iris” error the first power-on.|The 8350 absolutely completely blows away the MovieMate 72. The difference from 720p to 1080p was amazing in our living room at 120″. The PS3 menu is as crisp as it was meant to be. I am not kidding when I say the 1080p makes the MovieMate’s 720p image look like SD. Other reviewers say that the incremental upgrade from 720p to 1080p wasn’t that great. In our living room, it was astounding.|The 8350 is a large projector, larger than the images suggest. This may be an issue for a shelf mount or if you place on a table. Image quality is simply stunning, especially at this price point. The 8350 has 5 main “modes” and each is suited to a different use and lighting condition. “Dynamic” mode is bright, very bright. On my Optoma GrayWolf II screen (a gray screen – highly recommended if you have ambient light and want to use during the day), at a 100″ picture size, the image was bright and clear, even with ambient light from 4 windows at the side. “Living Room” mode is a touch less bright, but ups the contrast and gives slightly deeper blacks. For night-time viewing, the Cinema, Natural, and HDMI Color modes are all excellent. I found I used the HDMI color mode most often, as this gave excellent, black levels, good black level detail, and rich, deep colors. Switching between modes is a breeze, with a dedicated “color mode” button on the excellent (and lighted!) remote.|The 8350 is significantly brighter and sharper than the 900, and at full brightness, is very watchable in a room with all the lights on. That was the big reason I bought it and it was worth it. I can watch it on my 120 inch screen in full light with the windows open. Sweet! The pic is sharp and clear, no screen door or pixellation.|The biggest marketing feature of this projector is its 1080P native resolution. It looks good. I was a little surprised that 1080P didn’t make as much of a difference as I expected, but it looks good. I didn’t really have to make many changes to the default settings to get a picture of my liking.|The brightness is more than adequate. The use I purchased it for was in a small church (less than 100 people with a very low ceiling and a side wall of windows). I installed at night – and the ‘cinema’ setting, or living room setting was stellar. We use the dynamic view in general, as it is the brightest, but for home use, the less intense, bulb and energy saving modes would be perfect. I will be buying one for myself when I need a new ‘tv’.|The color reproduction is fairly accurate. I use a Dell UltraSharp and a ViewSonic monitor as preview monitors, and the projector is closest to the color of the Dell. However, I haven’t calibrated my monitors, so take that lightly. The different modes do affect the contrast, but not to where it degrades the overall impact.|The controls are pretty easy to use. It takes a few seconds to switch back and forth between HDMI inputs, but nothing too troubling. There are a lot of options for adjusting the picture and tweaking it, but I have really only used the preset modes that change the brightness between Living Room, Cinema, Natural, or Dynamic. You can use this in a lighted room when watching brighter images, but the darker images require really turning up the brightness, which shortens the bulb life, so I try to keep the room pretty dark.|The Epson 8350 has exceeded my lofty expectations based on research and reviews prior to purchase. The 8350 is a 3LCD projector which uses Epsons upgraded inorganic LCD panels (the key improvement in this model over last year’s excellent 8100 with cheaper organic LCD panels). As a result, the contrast and black levels on this projector are outstanding. Setup was fairly easy, and the extended range zoom on this model coupled with both horizontal and vertical lense-shift made placement a breeze. Do note, this model does not have digital keystone adjustment, so you must mount the projector level and then shift the image with the lense adjustments. I had to carefully level my ceiling mount to accomplish this.|The Epson 8350 projector is amazing. The lens shift allows you to offset your projector from the screen. By far the best picture when compared to other similar models. I’ve also used these in my work environment as well!|The Epson 8350 really rivals true theater image quality. We use a Draper 16:9 matte white manual 110″ screen and keep light levels very low like a theater would. DB noise levels for the fan (low lamp/energy saving mode=low fan speed mode and is all I ever need for brightness) is superb. You have to stand on a small stool and get right up to the fan to hear it. The fan will NOT be a distraction issue! The fan exhausts forward, good design thinking for those installations where the Epson is backed up close to a wall behind it as all the heat can be vented w/ no restrictions or clearance issues like a rear-exhausting projector (my old Pany for example) might have. The menu on the 8350 is diverse and offers every adjustment you will need, and some (“advanced”) settings you probably won’t have to touch. You can save all of your custom settings in memory and there’s 10 or more individual memory locations.|The Epson is considerably larger and heavier than a DLP, but with a ceiling mount it is out of the way and no problem. I originally miscalculated and the projector ended up within a couple of inches of the back wall. The result was unacceptable reflection of fan noise off the back wall. I moved it out to six inches and the projector is now very quiet. For the price, this is a great projector.|The Epson PowerLite 8350 has a great image quality with cinema size. The smaller the projected image, the higher the quality of the picture, however this difference is only slight and we use the largest size possible for everything we watch. several inputs are available and I have used them all including 2 HDMI, S-Video, Computer, and component connections. There are no speakers in the projector so you have additional wiring for surround sound coming from your video source (DVD or cable box). I still need to install permanent wiring as the room is boobey-trapped with lines everywhere at the moment. Projector box is larger, heavier and gets hotter than I expected but the quality is worth it I believe.|The Epson Powerlite Home Cinema 8350 is one heck of a projector for the money. The quality images that come off this projector for $ 1200 is pretty amazing.|The Epson rep I discussed this with says HDMI images cannot be manipulated this way, but the HDMI-connected InFocus projector I had in my prior home did it with no problem, and so does my new Sony TV, which is connected to the same Harmon Kardon AVR 7550 HD receiver, also using HDMI cables. Because the H-K receiver has two HDMI outputs, no HDMI switch (for projector/TV) is needed, thankfully.|The Epson seems very happy in HDMI compatibility and nothing I’ve connected has ever been an issue. The signal/source “handshake” between the Epson, my receiver and the selected media device seems to be very responsive and there is no lag waiting for the Epson to display the media source selected. In summary, along with so many other 5 star reviews here, I have absolutely no regrets nor “cons” about this projector. Yes, it is bigger in size and much heavier in weight then some of the other DLP/LCD units out there, but, honestly, when you lift it, there is solidity and strength in it’s build. From a quality stand-point (not portability) could heavier mean, better build quality internally, larger more efficient power supply, roomier lamp cooling array for more air flow, etc) ?…I’m sensing it certainly can. There’s also few user issues out there highlighted on Epson forums…..nothing redundant and wide-spread like some of the other makes out there (an Optoma model competing w/ the Epson 8350 price range has had some quality control issues for bulb life and erratic shut-down problems during normal use). To me, with an absence of reported issues by owners for the 8350, that seems to indicate that it will be much less likely be a problem out of the box or later on during use.|The fan on my unit also seems to be on the verge of going out at times. My experience with Epson is that if it does I will be taken care of. I have heard no one else complain about this so it is probably not something for others to worry about.|The first bulb coming with the original box burnt out in less than 10 hours in early March. Called Epson technical support and they admitted the model/lamp has design error and without many questions, they shipped a replacement to me in two days. However, the second bulb was just blown out again yesterday, with a life span slightly longer than one calendar month (not the total used hours)!|The HDMI Cable input may further improve the picture quality.|the horizonal lens shift is not working. the picture is not moving horizontally but it is moving diagonally up or down instead of moving horizontally left ot right. this is bad.|The image is very sharp and bright. And no “screen door” effect. The unit is VERY large, but VERY quiet. Tons of inputs, too.|The Kill Shot: When I bought this projector it was twelve hundred bucks. As of the time of this review it’s a little over a thousand dollars. If you match that price to nearly any HDTV that is capable of 1080P (full HD) and has a big enough screen to even be worth bothering with, this projector clearly comes out as the obvious choice above and beyond a TV. This thing can kick out a screen up to 300″ in size – so huge you could actually use a theater screen with it in the right setup.|The lens shift magic is very neat. No keystone adjustment required. You can adjust the picture to move up/down/left/right just as if you were moving the projector. The image stays square and true – it just moves to the spot you want it.|The main feature that kept me coming back to the epson 8350 was the lens shift functionality. I have a fairly straight mount setup but I wanted to be flush to a 9′ ceiling without having to use a software based keystone shift adjustment to shift the picture to the right height. Keystone adjustments reduce picture quality whereas lens shift will not impact picture quality unless you shift to the outer limits.|The moment I will buy and use second HDMI cable, it will be a complete home theater for me and update this review to that extent.|The mount leverages three of the five holes on the projector. I have to tell you this is a nice piece of hardware! It’s really stiff which is great for vibration and in the event you bump it. Hands down an amazing mount.|The mounting screw holes are far apart, so check your ceiling mount if you already own one.|The next rep told me that despite the fact I did not follow instructions- they were still going to send me a new replacement lamp ($ 300 value) next day delivery because “we expect the most out of our products- no matter what the circumstances” and then gently encouraged me to give the projector a bit more room to cool itself.|The noise level is perfect zero and sometimes we may fear, for a moment, whether the Projector is working or not. I am using this in India , but with a voltage converter from 220 to 110. I have inquired with the technical department of Epson, they have clarified that it will work on 220 volts as it has a voltage detection system in built. But I have not dared to use at 220 volts. There is no mention of input AC power | 220 volts / 110 volts | at the AC power inlet and Input cable.|The one thing you see right away with the 1080p-8350 “blank-screen” is that you don’t find the little dots (pixels?) that make up the screen anymore.|The only downside is this thing is HUGE. The little projector table we are using (soon to be ceiling mounted, the MovieMate doesn’t have a ceiling mount option) is completely filled by the 8350, about 50% more footprint than the MovieMate, which is already large by projector standards because it contains a DVD player.|The only issue is that I wish that the housing for the unit was in “Piano Black”, the white justs sticks out, but I can deal with that for the AWESOME PRICE I got this for!|The only negative thing I noticed is the minor , negligible noise it emits when changing sources or when there is no input or when the screen is blank.|The other observation is that if the equipment when installed in the ceiling is not centered trapezoidal effect, there is no adjustment for setup.|The outside of the projector does not get as hot as the old one. Ventilation within the projector is much better.|The picture and the contrast, resolutions is awesome. Cant believe that we get this quality at affordable prices, cheaper than even a regular 52″ TV.|The picture is great. The contrast is not perfect, but is very nice. It has a much bigger picture than my ViewSonic did. I’m at about a 9.5ft diagonal picture at about 12.8 feet away. I’m thrilled with the Lens Shift which allowed me to place the image pretty much anywhere on the wall. This works much better than keystone and doesn’t warp all the pixels.|The picture looks excellent. HDTV from the cable box was very vibrant and had good contrast. Even a 480p DVD looked very good projected at 110″. There is an auto aspect ratio mode that in my one experiment was able to appropriately set the right mode when I switched from an HD channel to a standard def channel.|The picture on this projector is excellent, one of the best pictures I have seen for under $ 1800. Many times when I start it up even as new it has had a burning smell to it. Nothing is wrong with it but it does smell like it is burning.|The problems I do have with this projector is the size it’s huge and as all lcd’s has problems when watching fast moving sports.It also is not 3d compatible.|The projector focuses extremely well, and the image was even throughout the range, with crisp details corner to corner. A handy “pattern” button on the remote projects a nice, crisp pattern for focus and image centering. Screen-door effects were basically non-existant, and you could only make out the pixel matrix from less than about 3 feet from the screen. At 1080p, with a nice Blu Ray source, the result is stunning. Honestly, this setup with a good sound system is better than most theaters.|The projector has developed a problem. Over the space of three days the image became dimmer and dimmer until it was unwatchable. I took it in to the local epson certified repair centre but was refused service (after 2 weeks of waiting as it was shipped to another city) as it was imported from another country. I never heard of such a poor customer policy and will certainly never buy an epson again and will certainly check for any half baked limitations in the future|The projector worked great and the picture quality is also greaat and no complains there.|The quietness of this projector alone makes its size tolerable. I’m quite pleased with the projector. I look forward to a Polaroid 3D version of this projector!|The remote control, about 2″x8″, is self-lite. So you don’t have to turn the room light on to adjust the projector.|The remote is easy to use and has a convenient backlight that you can turn on when needed. All of the inputs have a direct access button on the remote which may be important if you are using another remote with macro capabilities for controlling your system.|The room I installed this projector in is fairly small (13 Ft in length) but the projector fits in perfectly. I am getting a 92′ diag picture on my FAVI 16:9/92-Inch Electric Projector Screen (HD-92), and I could easily have gotten the 100′.|The set up was extremely easy, hook up a HDMI cable to the amp or blu-ray player, use the remote and select “menu” and choose “x.v.Color mode”. In a few seconds, you have the dynamic images from the blu-ray disc projected on the screen, the colors are extremely even, the white real bright, and the black real dark.|The video settings were pretty good out of the box. A few tweaks with a video setup DVD got the picture looking very good. Since I have good light control in my room, I went with the reduced light ECO setting. This reduced the fan noise slightly. Interestingly, changing the color mode to “natural” also reduced the fan noise (and provided the most realistic color). With these two settings, the fan noise was very low and I didn’t notice it once a video was playing. The projector lets you have different settings for each input and remembers them when you switch between them, which is a nice touch. The one flaw I found when exploring the setup features was with the auto iris feature. It was loud- it sounded like a hard drive in a computer clicking away as it adjusted. Unlike the fan noise, the iris noise was noticeable over the programming. I ultimately decided not to use the auto iris at all. It seems a little gimicky and was kind of noticeable visually when it changed on the screen. I think Epson just included this feature so they could claim higher contrast ratios on their marketing slides and don’t expect anyone to actually use it.|The zoom lens let you maximize the screen size. We had basically a 100+ inch diagonal picture.|Then the lights went off and he cued ‘Quantum of Solace’ opening car chase sequence. He did not turn all the lights off at once, but one by one, closing the doors, then one set of lights, then another, to highlight how well the brightness of the Epson line could handle moderate levels of ambient light. I was totally blown away. Not only was it able to handle the ambient light, but the 92 inch screen appeared to me to look like a high end HDTV. I could barely believe my eyes. I was sold on the spot. I knew that I could not fit a 92″ screen on my wall, so I arranged to order an Elite Screen pull up 80″ screen and ordered the Epson 8350 for delivery to the store within 2 days for pick up.|There are settings on the projector that allowed me to place it at a convenient point in my living room allowing me to projected the image on my wall earmarked for the screen.|There is no need to worry about “exactly” where to place the projector, no more key-stone to adjust, the wide lense allows you to put the projector a few feet away from the screen literary, and the adjustable lense switches on the unit allow easy centering of images on the screen as well.|THerefore, I have changed my review from one star to two because customer service was a very good experience.|These are the only criticisms I can muster. On the other hand for the price of a moderate television I am watching on a 92″ screen. It is spectacular. I can not even imagine going with something else and my experience with epson has been stellar as far as customer service goes. I tend to stay loyal to companies that treat me well so I did not look much further. I am sure other companies make good projectors and provide good customer service as well. I simply stayed with what I was comfortable with and am happy with the purchase. I am not a hardcore videophile nor do I watch a lot of television or movies normally. If you are not hardcore about your video I am pretty sure you will be happy with this projector. If you are hardcore I have little to offer.|Things I really really like about this projector: The Picture is phenomenal. I’m projecting a picture 9 feet wide from 13 feet away. The projector is mounted to the ceiling and the lens shift puts it square on the wall under a ceiling fan without having to hang the projector off of an extension. Nice! In the brightest mode I can watch during the day with reasonably good picture quality even though I have 16′ of patio door opposite the projector wall, but at night when the movies come out, the picture absolutely pops! I’ve run HD off of the cable DVR and the Blu-ray and it’s all top notch. If I can I’ll post a couple photos to show the setup.|This Epson unit has one mandantory reguirement for installation and positioning. It must be 90 degrees to the screen in the x, y and z axis. Assuming the screen is exactly vertical, it must be level both front to rear and side to side; and not rotated from 90 degrees to the screen left or right. It does not need to be centered on the screen as the lateral image shift will take care of that. The vertical image shift takes care of pointing it down from its high mount. There is no keystone issue at all if it is square with the screen, regardless of position. The image is astounding. Far superior to my previous unit in all factors. It has many features and capabilities, most of which you will not need. I plugged in component cables for DirecTV and an HDMI cable for an off-air box. Both are great. It powered up and was ready to go.|This has got the be the best projection, both quality and price. All you really need is a wall and you’re good to go. I found that using the white background gives you a more vibrant colors, but using a black or dark background gives you .. well, more “blacker” colors. For example, when watching ESPN, the black bottom bar will in fact be “matte black” on the black background, where the black becomes “glossy black” on the white background. They look excellent regardless of the color of the wall, so try it first then figure out what to do with the screen – paint or pull down.|This is a great projector and the price is right, I have nothing bad to say about this product. The picture is excellent, set up is easy. Very bright, easy to see even in a lighted room.|This is amazing product with cinema theatre experience and good quality of the picture quality. This plays the quality picture right out of the box before you get into technical aspect of settings of it. We just watched 3 movies so far but will comment more once I explore other settings and results.|This is an additional comment after 6 months of use. — After 2100 hours of use, the lamp suddenly became dark. Many replacement lamp buyers have indicated the lamp lasted less than 1000 hours. Epson should delete the claim <> that written in User’s Guide.|This is my 4th projector:|This is my first ever projector. After much deliberation and research I purchased EPSON 8350. I am more than satisfied with product. Works right out of box, easy to install an delivers the video with excellent quality. Would strongly recommend this product and will never go wrong with this.|This is my first projector and I am very impressed. I would highly recommend this to anyone in the 1000 dollar market. It is stunningly sharp.|This is my first projector with image shift capability. Lack of keystone correction concerned me, but turned out to be a total non-problem. From out of the box to projecting a great HD 120 inch image was less than 20 minutes.|This is my first video projector. I never considered buying one before because of concerns over the contrast, sharpness and overall quality of the picture.|this is the first projector I purchase. after a lot of searching I chose the 8350 and was kind of worried about daytime viewing. but once i started it up i was amazed at at the picture quality and clarity, every one that comes over is surprised at the clarity and the size i’m getting out of the 9′ distance..120″ screen!!! I’m very satisfied with this projector, yes black aren’t superb but they are great for the price. Netflix looks awesome from my ps3 (through HDMI). 3D really isnt worth it right, now not enough stuff out there and technology is barely growing. so it shouldn’t really be a big factor for most. plus 3d glasses only look good when you staring straight you cant tilt or move too much or you will lose the effect and even with 3d tv’s you will notice the picture looks less vivid through the glasses so the images lose punch.|This is the mount I used: Atdec TH-WH-PJ-FM Telehook Universal Projector Flush Mount|This is the screen I used: FAVI 16:9/120-Inch Electric Projector Screen (HD-120)|This may not seem like a big deal, but it is. Seeing Humphrey Bogart’s face (or anyones) stretched out to fit a 16:9 screen spoils the viewing experience. Epson puts a separate aspect ratio button right on the projector remote, so obviously they know this is important. But the button isn’t designed to work with HDMI inputs.|This projector cost about 1/2 of what the other Epson projector we found in the store, and the only difference we can see is that this one is white, not black. It works great.|this projector delivers. Imagine watching your fav movies or playing your fav games in a small theater, this is how you get there! Great price, totally worth it, don’t waste your money on cheaper products, you get what you pay for with this baby.|This projector exceeded our expectations in every way. And when you read on, you’ll see that we had pretty high expectations already. The picture from this projector is stunning. This is the best value in home theater running. There are plenty of 5 star reviews already, and everyone else pretty much summed it up before me. But they are all true. Here’s why:|This projector is good, I have 2 observations, when using a hdmi cable 1080p, it is impossible to adjust the type of image, just be normal, no zoom, not full, and so on.|This projector is great, quiet operation, nice picture. As in most lcd entry projectors blacks could be blacker but is very acceptable to me after some adjustments. It is quite larger compared to my epson 740c portable. If your mounting on the ceiling your going to have to buy a bracket or make a custom one, as it does have some weight to it. As far as the throw distance, I have about a 135 inch screen at 12 ft lense distance. The only problem that I had was I had to move my projector over from my old location, lens isnt centered in the projector, and since there isnt any keystone correction, the only option was moving it.|This projector is just amazing. The picture is great. The lens can project with no deformation a wide image and the lens shift horizontally and vertically at a huge range.|This projector is outstanding. The quality of the image is unsurpassed in its class and probably the next class up. One overlooked feature is the lense shift. There are no digital image manipulation controls on this projector. As long as the lense is parallel to the screen, the lense-shift will make sure it is centered. Optical lense shift is a feature usually only found on high end projectors. This projector replaced my InFocus X1 which lasted over 7 years (and is still going strong). No regrets!|This projector is perfect for my loft. The nice thing about it is the vertical and horizontal lens shift. This lets you place the projector lined up with the left or right side of the screen, and have the image projected out in a correct rectangle, without having to angle the projector towards the middle and keystone (digitally) correct the image.|This projector offers only normal size 16:9 aspect ratio for HDMI and component inputs. I use the projector for watching TV with ATT, U-verse. The channel I usually watch shows pictures with reduced size. So, I want to zoom the pictures, but this projector does not zoom with HDMI connection. Panasonic projectors and a couple of my LCD TVs can zoom.|This projector often lose synchronization ( loses picture and shows noises ), when I play my Panosonic BD player ( DMP-BD55 ), although it works with U-verse DVR. Panasonic projectors and all of my LCD players do not have this problem.|This projector produces an excellent picture quality. With a 13ft distance it can produce a 120″ diagonal picture.|This projector was a great deal, especially compared to the in-store price at Best Buy. It’s pretty big though, but for the image quality and price that’s not a big deal. It may not be the brightest during the day time, but it still is acceptable to watch.|This review is from: Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 (Electronics)|This setup has worked fantastic for 3 years with my 720p projector. It doesn’t matter if I played a DVD or Blu-Ray through my PS3 or a DVD/VHS through the DVD/VCR combo through the switch to the projector.|This supposed to be the best in the price range. The trouble is it does not have the key-stone adjustment for the lens. It means if you have a little tricky installation situation like we have, it does not work. Only good when the screen and the projector is located relatively parallel . We had to return it.|This unit replaced my Optoma HD72 that I have been using for a few years. The HD72 is a 720p projector that displays a pretty good picture that I was happy with while watching sporting events, But it was a different story with movies. A lot of movies are coming out that have been filmed very dark, Like the Harry Potter movies. I could not get the HD72 adjusted to display a picture that I was satisfied with. The picture was just to dark with no shadow detail. This projector is a big step up in picture quality. The black level and brightness is significantly better than the HD72. The same Harry Potter movies take on a new look that I will say is awesome. The HD72 is a DLP entry level projector with a very limited zoom lens with no lens shift which made placing it a big pain in the neck. I had to use a magazine or some other item under the adjustable feet to get it leveled and aligned with the screen. This projector with its far better zoom and lens shift make it a breeze to set up and align with the screen. I do not have this projector mounted for the simple reason that I use it in my living room with a smallish 92 inch pull down screen and outside placed on a coffee table on my patio projecting onto a 8 foot by 14 foot screen in my back yard. The picture is absolutely superb on both screens. So far I have found nothing that I do not like about it. For the price it is a steal.|This unit when working is not a bad unit. However, I have received this Auto Iris error 2 times in less than 2 months. There is no fix that an individual can apply; it requires being sent back to the manufacturer. This process is cumbersome as they want to charge you for a brand new unit, and then will refund you once they receive the old unit back. Or you can send your defective unit back and they will over-night another unit to you. Second option doesn’t sound bad, right? Well, it takes 3 weeks for them to turnaround and ship your unit back. If this defection only occurred once, I would give it 4 stars, but twice in less than 2 months… not so much.|This was an upgrade from an Optoma HD60. I did no calibration or setup (beyond flipping the image since I was ceiling mounting) and the picture is definitely an improvement over the old projector.|This was more than I had hoped for in a projector. It was impressive to see, and has a brilliant image.|This was my first projector and I was a little intimidated by all that I had read concerning the set up of a projector. This could not have been more wrong, mounting and set up took around 15 minutes. Extremly user friendly, the picture on my elite screen is as good as my sony LED. I love it!|This was my first projector coming from a 54in Panny Plasma G10. It didn’t let me down one bit. I promise once you go with a 102in screen there is no going back. It might not be as colorful as my plasma but its twice the size! That alone is worth it. Make sure you calibrate this projector. You will end up with a much better picture if your trying to replace a plasma or lcd tv. Reports are around 20ms to 30ms for video game lag! Even better then my plasma! MW3 on this thing is amazing!|This was my first projector experience. Was little exicited about this. After much research and review finally went for EPSON 8350 and I tell you it was a better decision that I made. Very happy with Picture Quality. Fit perfectly on my basement wall with 120″ projection display. Easy setup, navigation, lower noise level and picture is super clean and bright (Ofcourse you have to have HDMI for better picture).|This was my first projector purchase. Glad I waited because this model turned out to be an excellent purchase. Well worth the 1100 bucks. Worked great right out of the box and easy to use.|This was our first projector. We live in a loft where the side wall is all windows. We did not have the perfect “media room” situation and wanted this to be used as our primary TV. The windows have blinds but some light still comes. The picture is still awesome during the day and at night it’s incredible. Great projector for someone just starting out. Very easy to use.|Though it is mentioned in earlier reviews that the picture quality withstands the Room Lights, I disagree. The moment you turn off your last light in the Room, you start experiencing magic of 8350.|Though this projector may not compete with the picture quality produced by the HD LED TV 1080P, the excellent picture quality at enlarged size will provide you the fullest satisfaction – never think of investing huge amount in LED 1080P TV!!!|Turning it on, I waited for the ‘projector noise’ I was used to. It never came. The projector is barely audible. However, since I’m at 6800 ft above sea level, I had to go to ‘high altitude’ mode and the volume doubled. It was still a third of the volume of my previous projector which was further away. At high altitude mode, I was able to watch a movie with the projector literally 14 inches from my head. At this distance, I was able to tune out the projector fan noise. I was never able to do this with my ViewSonic projector even when it was 4-5 feet over my head.|We also ordered the mount, but opted for cutting whole in the wall and framing it out to match the house trim. We also framed out a valance in matching trim to hide the auto projector screen. The result is hidden and is totally cool when you crank up the system to the unaware guest.|We are projecting on a 120″ diagonal very reflective (but not the most reflective) pull-down screen. Our living room is bathed in evening sunlight. Prior to 30 minutes ago, we had to wait until sundown to watch movies. The MovieMate 72 couldn’t compete against the sun hitting the screen. But it looked great at night. At the magnification we used, you could see individual pixels but the picture was still pretty cool. Well, not anymore.|We have been very pleased with this projector. The distance from projector to screen is 18 feet. The room is 22 feet high with a large bank of windows. The window treatments do not black out the room. We have HD TV, a 1080p blue-ray DVD player and a Roku box (not HD).|We have it set up at about a 100 inch image and blu ray looks amazing. Just using the wall for now and looks pristine.|We Love this soo much. Both my wife and I got hooked on to this from the day I had it installed. Did not mess around with the settings and I strongly recommend “Vantage Point CGUPM12-S Universal Front Projector Mount – Silver” mount. I have only 4 speakers connected right but WOW, this blows away my 50inch plasm TV away. Can’t wait to watch Football..|We set this up temporarily while the media/family room was being finished.|Well, A) YES, I am just astounded by the quality of the picture and am the envy of all my friends – and B)While the Epson may be a tiny bit more than some other projectors out there- the extra $ 100-200 investment will pay dividends over time I’m convinced. I know I like talking to a real person when I have an issue, 2 in fact! With no wait time, on a Friday night.|When I eventually set it up (which was simple)I was quite impressed with the picture and when connected to a good sound system, gave me the cinema experience that I thought about. Add in blue ray and there is nothing that beats the quality/price ratio for this projector.|When I first took out the projector from its package, my first thought was ‘Whoa, this is huge!’. Appart from that, picture is great, and it is simple to setup. One thing to note though is that there is no way to adjuts the shape of the picture like there was with my old projector. Instead, you should make sure that the projector is perfectly leveled, and the manual calibration will automagically adjust the shape of the picture to get a perfect rectangle.|When I play action video games, I use the manual zoom to make the picture smaller so that our heads don’t block the projection. Neither the zoom nor the lens shift need to be readjusted. Really convenient.|When it finally arrived (I knew it was big from what I read), I was surprised at how big it was. At 16 plus pounds, it was quite heavy too. It had a very nice finish that I like. I had to change the arms of my universal mount as the HC8350`s 4 mounting holes are widely-spaced. Glad that my universal mount kit which I bought in 2006 had arms long enough. When I got to finally install it, made few adjustments and saw the image on my Firehawk, it was like seeing a front-projected image for the first time again. My eldest commented that it was like a giant plasma screen. Everything that was written about this projector is true. That it will exceed your expectation. It did mine. I just hope that the bulb will last as advertised.|When the unit arrived my first impression was that it was big.It is much larger than the usual multimedia projectors around and I wondered if I would need to have this lug sitting on my coffee table to the annoyance of my better half!|Where do I begin, to tell the story of how great this projector can be!?|While all my components are capable of 3D I have not really liked 3D that much in the theater and decided I would not want to play much 3D content at home so I concentrated on brightness and the 1080P resolution and the adjustment features of this projector and zero regrets. If I were to change my mind in the future when the technology has progressed I can revisit that, but for now this is all I could ever want.|While I have no complaints while watching movies or working on a computer, the motion seems a touch off when playing some video games. I’m not sure if that is due to the lower refresh rate, but it does get mildly distracting when playing for extended periods of time.|With the caveat that without a special screen, the image is going to be a little dim in a room lit by sunlight, this projector is absolutely the bees’ knees. Great for movies, great for your media PC, great for PS3 gaming (no perceptible lag!). No noticeable streaking, it’s pretty damn ideal for HD projection at a decent price.|Woobelle – See all my reviews|Wooooow! What a difference! Picture to me was 10x better! Colors popped off the screen and it was definately brighter! I again watched hi def movie through uverse and it was phenomenal. Popped in mw3 on xbox 360 and again absolutely amazing. The blacks were very dark unlike the viewsonic which had a very light black compared to this. I can now also get my true 130 inch diagonal screen since the epson has easy to use lens shift for vertical and horizontal adjustment (way better than keystone). Super easy to place in my theater (all i had to do was make sure projector was flat and straight with screen). Can’t wait for my blu ray player. Even my young kids could quickly see the huge difference between the two projectors. Get it while its on sale and you won’t be disappointed. I am extremely picky and price conscientous when it comes to electronics and this is a no brainer after seeing it in action! For any video game players you won’t be disappointed! I was leary of input lag on video games however I haven’t noticed any major lag and fast paced first person shooters are very playable with no motion blurring!|Works great with my computer and Wii. Came though clear as a bell.|Wow. That’s really all I can say. Wow. I’m not a rich man, I’ve been reviewing projectors for about two years now. I’ve had my eye on the Epson 8350 for about 12 months. Just recently I came into a bit of extra cash and almost purchased the Epson 8700ub instead (I figured more money must equal a better projector). I was probably right, but in the end I decided to save myself $ 800 and stick with my plan of purchasing the 8350. When I brought it home plugged it in and shot it at the wall I knew I made the right decision. It is beautiful. Crisp clear HD images right on my wall. Even in the daytime with ambient light the image is passable and better than any TV from 4 or 5 years ago. When the sun starts going down (and definitely when its night) the image is more vibrant and crisp than the 32″ 1080p Vizio that I replaced with this projector. This is the best item I’ve purchased in quite a long time.|Wow….just stunned at the quality. Plug and play out of the box, i popped in Avatar bluray, and turned this thing|X. GU (Edison, NJ USA) – See all my reviews|You no longer need the budget of Steven Spielberg to equip a home cinema with crystal sharp projected images. This machine, out of the box, delivers excellent quality 1080p motion picture images. At a throw of about 10 feet, you can fill an eight-foot wide screen. Darken the room and lower the bulb’s output to save on it’s expected life and you will swear you are watching a movie at the local multiplex (assuming you have Bluray and a modest sound system. This machine is well worth $ 4,000, but now available at around $ 1200, it’s worth every penny. Treat yourself.|You will also want a separate switch to control the AC power outlet in case you want to turn the main power switch off. In order to prevent another tear down of the wall to do electrical work, simply got a remote AC adapter such as this. DSI Outlet Wireless Remote Wall Outlets, 3 Outlets with 1 Remote This is to prevent the unit from moving, which means you’ll have to micro-adjust the projection angle once again.|You won’t run short if you have several different custom settings for different media situations and/or devices within your theater system. Set up of the projector was fairly easy. (15-30 minutes followed by a few tweaks ongoing over 2-3 movies just after we got it up and running). Try of course to get the projector dead on center for your screen and located in the as-correct-as-possible vertical and horizontal position so the lens is as parallel and centered to the screen as possible. At that point you can adjust the lens shift vertically or horizontally to get the screen image dead center and sized correctly using the manual zoom. Once you have the projector set up for the perfect screen position, you should not have to worry about it again as I’ve found no shift at all out of perfect screen alignment, in anything I’ve watched. The Epson also has a calibration vertical/horizontal bar on-screen display which really makes set-up so easy and allows those of us who are picky (me!) about resolving any misalignment or keystone for the projected image

Is there a simple (and cheap!) way to make an overhead projector for showing some transparency images on my wall? I figure all I’d really need is a light box underneath with a mirror and lens over it to project the image. Were could I find a lens to use (if this method would even work of course)? Would this produce clear images or would it be fuzzy?
Overhead Projector Light Show

mike p
those projectors had special lens on base, and the upper part had two lens’s. along with super brite projector lens.
I am willing to bet there are a lot of schools that have a storage room full of them.

Overhead Projector Light Show

No comments:

Post a Comment